Ads

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Day 19 - Disrespecting your parents

And now for the most annoying topic of them all, disrespecting your parents. Am sure there isn't anyone who hasn't done this ever in your life but am sure that there are some who take this quite seriously.

On my point of view, this isn't my thing at all as I am a person who lives my life as how I want it to be like. I hate people telling me what to do and what to believe in. My parents do that alot. Honestly my parents claim that they are open minded but honestly I don't quite think so. However, parents are parents.

Sadly true and we can't run away from that fact. I do also know that 1 day I will be a parent too and when that happens, I don't quite know what kinda parent I would be. Though I would really wanna be the really cool daddy that everyone is so jealous of. *chuckles*

A little off topic maybe? Anyways, I am a stubborn personality and as I mentioned above I hate being told things. But gradually as I grew older I learned that parents tell me things for a reason and I kinda also learned to see it positively rather than negative. How I do it? Wait till I publish my memoirs. LOL Just kidding.

I learned it through some self-reflection moment that I have done over myself over and over for a couple of years now. I have become from what I used to be and what I am becoming. Even at this point of time, I can't simply say all my characteristics 100% accurately cause am changing.

Sometimes kids tend to hate their parents for various reasons but they don't really think too deeply into things. As I have friends who often complain "Why me?!" or "What the heck is their problem?!" and etc. I came to realize that generally people don't like to put the blame on themselves first rather than easily pointing it to the other.

Taking blame for something is considered very courageous but managing to deal with it effectively is pure genius I'd say. If only we could put aside our egos and put extra time and effort to handle these situations, I think the world would be an ideal place to live in with no fear of wrongdoings. But we are all humans with some natural habits that we can't simply give up.

As how we all change from day in and day out, so does the trends and lifestyle. Even we young adults have trouble with dealing with our own younger generations, so what about our parents? Ever thought about it in that way? It is our duty to explain to them on how things work in our era and show them how far everything has changed compared to theirs.

Am sure we have parents whom always say stuffs like "When I was young......." and so on whenever they disagree with what us. But do they actually realized that times have changed? Maybe not. Plus they have looked out for us, maybe not perfectly well but somehow enough to make it through and we can't exactly blame them. Unless of course they have issues.

There isn't any rule book or user manuals on how to be a good parent because different people have different styles and we can't compare them to those of our friends. Some parents are athletic, some are outgoing, some are funny, some are creative, some are active and we also have some who are passive. We can't expect a creative parent to be running around playing soccer with the younger son but he might probably be able to teach his kids arts. Can't say that, "My dad doesn't play soccer. He sucks!" right?

Every parent brings up their kids the best way the thing it is with some guidance and advice from their friends, family and their own parents. So by putting all of it together, they try their best. Not all but SOME! I know some parents of whom I've got no comments at all. As long as the gratitude feel is there then it counts I suppose.

Personally I done really go along very well with my parents. I'd admit that because my style and theirs is totally different. However, I am quite close to my mum for whom I don't mind sacrificing my time and energy to accompany her or just be her driver to put a smile on her face. As much as we argue, when there is an issue that needs sorting out, we have a discussion about it regardless of the topic.

Though some years back, it would never have happened as I was not as matured as I am at the moment. But now, I think life has taught me to appreciate things in life which are simply irreplaceable. No matter how successful we could be, if we lose them once, thats it. There is no turning back and no time for regrets.

I don't like living with regrets but I am man enough to admit that I have done things that I ain't so proud of. I regret doing them but rather than crying over spilled milk, I rather learn to make up for what I have done. Though I could not be enough atleast it's better than nothing.

Honestly, I think I have gone outa topic. I really have no idea of what I have actually wrote up there. But am sure there isn't any negative stuffs there. Hope you guys could get some valuable input from that as I crack my head for my Day 20th topic. Cheers yo!

3 comments:

Most Desirable said...

I guess one thing for certain and that is, all parents want their children to have a better life than theirs. If you have a chance to come by this new movie or DVD 'A Better Life', watch it. I just watched it in a plane flying home from LA. Just watch it with an open heart and try not to cry. I tried holding back but my tears they just roll down.. Its about what a Dad, an illegal immigrant from Mexico went through, for a better life for his 17 yr old son in US. Pls do read my what goes around comes back around, for the fun of it, thks:)

Charlie said...

it's a never ending love hate r/s in the family LOL

sometimes when you done something wrong and your parents lecture you with "when i was young", i think they are actually blaming themselves with regret more than putting the blame on you

T.Y said...

Nath : That's why its called family in the 1st place. Though am not sure about the blaming of regret part, but am sure that some do really try their best. Just that we as kids might not see that it could be better only. =)


Most desirable : I will try to look for the movie u said. Have checked your blog too. =)